This is our first Christmas in our new house, and I decided to make new Christmas stockings for the fireplace mantle. I love the rustic look of a burlap stocking, but wanted to soften it up a bit, which is why I decided to add a quilted cuff with a lace trim.
I found the best tutorial for making a lined stocking with a cuff on the Cluck Cluck Sew website. McCall’s has a free stocking pattern (with instructions) online, but as I don’t have a printer at home, I used last year’s Christmas stocking as the pattern and cut 5/8″ larger than the stocking’s edge.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fabric for the outside of the stocking – I used burlap
- Fabric for the lining of the stocking – I used linen leftover from another project
- Fabric for the cuff – I used the Diamond Double Faced Quilt Fabric
- Fabric for the hanging tab – I actually used twine, but you could use the burlap and sew a tab
- Lace (optional)
- As mentioned, the best tutorial was on the Cluck Cluck Sew website. The only change I made was to add a piece of lace to the bottom of the cuff. I added the lace before I sewed the raw edges of the cuff together.
I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy decorating for the upcoming Christmas season!
I know we are all busy, and if you don’t have the time to make a stocking yourself, I am happy to sell you one. Please use the contact form below to reach me directly.