I found a tutorial for these tile coasters a year ago and have made them quite a few times since. They are so easy to make and inexpensive as well. Last year, I gave sets of 4 out as Christmas gifts, and my friends loved them!
Any scrapbook paper can be used. Ross and T.J.Maxx often have scrapbook paper (I got a book of over 100 sheets for less than $5 at Ross). Also, JoAnn’s frequently has coupons that can be used on any regular-priced item. Instead of scrapbook paper, you could save the Christmas cards you receive this year and make a set of holiday coasters for next year’s Christmas gifts.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Tiles from your local hardware store (4.25″ x 4.25″)
- Scrapbook paper (3.75″ x 3.75″)
- Felt or cork (4.25″ x 4.25″)
- Mod Podge
- Sponge brush
- Glue (i.e. Fabri-tac or other strong adhesive)
- Clear acrylic sealer
- Acrylic paint
- Small paint brush
- I followed the instructions from The Cottage Mama’s blog, but made two customizations:
- I extended the felt to cover the entire bottom of the tile (4.25″ x 4.25″). The Cottage Mama’s instructions had you cut the felt at 3.75″ x 3.75″.
- I also painted the edge of the coaster as I wanted to hide the rough edges. I used Martha Stewart’s metallic gold acrylic craft paint, and applied the paint at the very end (after Step #6 in the tutorial).
Wrap four of these coasters up with some beautiful ribbon and you’ve got a gorgeous handmade gift.
P.S. – If Christmas cards are piling up and you’re running out of ways to display them, these creative Christmas card projects on Better Homes and Gardens are easy-to-make and will put holiday greetings to good use.